Diversity Summer Clerkship Program
At Avek IP, we understand the value of a diverse workplace and believe that diversity enhances our law firm’s ability to serve our clients. We are committed to supporting diversity and inclusiveness in the legal profession. As part of this commitment, Avek IP is offering a summer clerkship to a student with a technical background enrolled in their first year of law school. Law students encouraged to apply include highly motivated members of diverse populations that have been historically underrepresented in the legal profession, including but not limited to racial, ethnic, and gender minorities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, first-generation college students, disabled individuals, veterans, and students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds.
We welcome applications from law students who:
- Are enrolled and in good standing as a first-year law student at an ABA-accredited law school with an anticipated graduation date of 2024
- Are a member of a diverse population that has been historically underrepresented in the legal profession
- Actively demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion within their law schools, local communities, and/or through their professional and volunteer work, hobbies, and leadership roles
- Have an engineering or science background and wish to pursue a career in intellectual property law
- Are a U.S. citizen or are otherwise authorized to work permanently in the United States
Please submit a current resume and an official or unofficial transcript to Steph Matchett at SMatchett@avekip.com. Please direct any questions to Hissan Anis at HAnis@avekip.com. Avek IP will begin reviewing applications starting March 7, 2022.
- Position duration is between 4 weeks and 6 weeks. Selected candidate can decide whether to enroll for 4, 5, or 6 weeks, and can start during the summer at a date of their choosing.
- $2,000/week pay
- Avek IP will provide lodging for the selected candidate if they do not reside within driving distance of our office in Overland Park, Kansas.
- Selected candidate will learn about utility patents, design patents, trademarks, and copyrights from experts in the field and will have the opportunity to directly interact with clients.
About Avek IP
Avek IP is a leading intellectual property boutique with deep expertise in both prosecuting and litigating intellectual property matters. The firm’s roster includes twelve patent attorneys, a trademark attorney, a patent agent, and two patent engineers. Avek IP’s employees take pride in understanding each client’s business and providing solutions that are tailored to the client’s needs.
Avek IP has two offices in Johnson County, Kansas. Johnson County is consistently ranked by USA Today and other publications as one of the best counties to live in the United States