A utility patent can be issued for any new and nonobvious process, machine, manufacturing method, or composition of matter. Design patents protect unique aesthetic designs.
An issued patent is a property right that allows the patent owner to keep third parties from making, using, selling, or offering for sale their patented invention. Having a patent does not grant you the right to make or practice your invention. A patent owner may take advantage of the exclusive patent rights for the entire term of the patent – 20 or more years from the date of filing (or 15 years from the date of grant for a design patent).
How we help
Engaging a patent attorney is important for both obtaining a patent and defending an existing patent. According to various Supreme Court cases, patent applications are “one of the most difficult legal instruments to draw with accuracy.”
The attorneys of Avek IP have considerable experience and expertise in preparing and prosecuting patent applications. We take pride in being able to quickly get up to speed and understand our clients’ inventions, and in drafting patent applications that are readable without sacrificing the complexities of the inventions.
Our attorneys have diverse technical backgrounds and experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications in a wide variety of technical fields, including the mechanical arts, electrical arts, computer technology and software, chemistry/chemical engineering, biology, business methods, and designs.
Our approach to prosecuting patent applications is both determined and practical. We seek to obtain the broadest patentprosecution possible while ensuring that client goals are met.
Our patent law services include:
- Obtaining patents (patent preparation and prosecution)
- Patent infringement litigation
- Patent licenses, assignments, and agreements
- Patent searches (both clearance searches and patentability searches)
- Due diligence reviews of patent portfolios
- Creation of patent disclosure programs implemented by clients
Examples of recent experience
- Filed patent applications in more than half of the 537 different art units at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Worked with foreign associates to procure patents around the world
- Reviewed many products and worked with clients on design changes to avoid infringement
- Successfully enforced patents against infringers – in some cases without litigation, in other cases through litigation
- Successfully represented companies accused of infringement – in some cases without litigation, in other cases through litigation
- Won appeals in patent cases at the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Led nearly 80 inter partes review (IPR) proceedings, including the first successful challenge of a design patent
- Negotiated and drafted documents for the purchase and sale of patent rights
- Regularly conducted intellectual property due diligence for risk avoidance and merger & acquisition purposes
Need help with your patent issues?
Our patent attorneys are ready to help you with your patent application and to litigate patent infringement claims. Contact us for a free consultation.